Friday, January 22, 2016

On Writing an Essay

Man I have to tell you, I have been struggling for twenty-one days now since the New Year with trying to write an essay. Why, you ask? Look, so, I like reading books like the Philosophy and  Pop Culture books you know, on like philosophy and Doctor Who, or Sherlock Holmes, Supernatural, all of that. Of course all of that type of writing is essentially essay type writing, and man, I really enjoy that writing, so of course I want to try and write like that.
For a week or so at first I struggled with just coming up with a subject to write about. At first I liked one and then I changed it to another. Then of course I started another idea and went all in practically, writing a title page and an introductory paragraph and even a thesis sentence. Then that all went to shit.
How do they do it, you know? The great essayists of our time. Granted they've been all studying it for forever now and writing in such a style for a long time and stuff but I figure any type of writer should be able to get into that style. I love, love, love the fact that Neil Garman, one of my favorite writers, constantly writes essay which are fascinating and structured interestingly. Even my other favorite author, Christopher Moore wrote an essay I found on the love of vampires in fiction, he may have written others too but that's the one I came across, and it was fantastic.
All in all, I'm going to keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment